Communicating with other players is possible during the game, in the lobby, in a party with friends and in private messages with friends by typing in the chat box. This is of vital importance to the game as this is where players share info and communicate.
During the Day, players can chat with each other. If a player was blackmailed the previous Night, they cannot talk, even if the Blackmailer died the same Night they were blackmailed, unless they are on the stand, in which case if they try to send a message, it will say “I am blackmailed.”.
You are watching: whispering town of salem
Members of the Mafia, along with any Vampires (and Coven in the Coven Expansion), can talk to each other during the Night. A Vampire Hunter can read Vampire Chat, however, no names except “Vampire” are shown.
If a player is dead, they can talk to other dead players and the Medium at Night, who appears in chat as the “Medium”. If there are multiple Mediums, they will both be able to talk to the dead but they cannot see each other’s messages. They will all show up as “Medium”.
A Medium seancing a player will also appear as a “Medium” to the player.
If a player is jailed, they can talk to the Jailor, who will be called “Jailor” in the chat. If the jailed player is a Medium, member of the Mafia, Coven, or is a Vampire, they cannot write in their respective chat but they can still see others talking in it.
During the Day, living players can whisper to each other. Other players will only be able to see who has whispered to whom. A Blackmailer can read all whispers, even when dead.
To whisper, type in the chat “/w (player name or number) (your message)“, “/pm (player name or number) (your message)“, or “/whisper (player name or number) (your message)“. Be sure to put a space in between the command and the name/number you are whispering to, as well as a space after the name/number.
Alternatively, you may click on a player in the player window, then click the “Whisper” button.
Examples of whispering in the chat would be: /w John Smith I am the Sheriff!
/w 5 I am the Sheriff!
/pm John Smith I am the Sheriff!
See more: News | Ring Run
/pm 5 I am the Sheriff!
/whisper John Smith I am the Sheriff!
/whisper 5 I am the Sheriff!
It is highly recommended to type the player’s number instead of their name. Not only is it faster, but there is an issue of whispering to a person with a similar name as another. If you choose to whisper to “John Hathorne”, the game will send your whisper to “John”, who is a different person. For example, typing “/w John Hathorne hello” will instead send the message “Hathorne hello” to John.
While other players will not be able to see your message, they will receive a message that you have whispered to the other player (e.g. “Fred is whispering to John Smith.”). That said, you should be careful about how many times you whisper, as players might get suspicious of you. However, you shouldn’t worry too much about getting suspicion, unless the game you are in has a lot of Neutrals.
You will be unable to whisper (and talk) during the Day if you are blackmailed. You will also be unable to whisper when dead.
A revealed Mayor cannot whisper or be whispered to. If you can whisper to them, they have been converted into a Vampire.
In the Coven Expansion: In the Coven Expansion and during Lovers Mode, players can secretly whisper to their lover without the public knowing, thus making it easier for lovers to know who they are. During VIP Mode, whispers are disabled entirely, otherwise you could just whisper your role to the VIP, a confirmed Townie.
Note: Typing “/help” or “-help” in the chat will pull up a message to remind you how to whisper to another player.
Uses for the Town
- You can whisper your role to any confirmed Townie, forming an alliance of trust against the Mafia and Neutrals. It was also used to give roles to a revealed Mayor, until an update came upon, where the revealed Mayor was not allowed to be whispered to. This tactic is occasionally used by confirmed Townies and most commonly the Jailor.
- If you are a Town Investigative, you could whisper your role to players you have determined to be Town members, gaining their help when trying to lynch someone you have found to be evil. If you investigated someone, you could ask that person to whisper their role to you. This can help you figure out that person’s exact role, but beware as it is possible for them to lie.
- You can ask other players to use their ability in a certain way, (e.g. role block someone you suspect to be the Godfather).
Initiating a whisper might make the Mafia/Coven or Neutral Killings believe you are a Town member sharing information, making you a high-priority target.
Uses for non-Town
- As a Blackmailer, you can read all the information in the whispers and provide them to the Mafia and benefit them with it.
- As an Executioner, you could whisper your target, acting like a Town Investigative or trying to make them look suspicious.
- As a Jester, you can use whispers to spread misinformation, making you look suspicious once you are discovered, or use ‘failed whispers’, (e.g. “/w9 I am Mafia, join my team” or “w 4 Who are we gonna kill tonight?”).
- However, most experienced players will see this as an obvious Jester play and simply ignore you
- An evil role can also use this to look like a Jester and make people not want to lynch you.
- Be warned though, as this tactic will almost guarantee that a Jailor or Vigilante will kill you the next Night.
- As a Witch, you might have figured out another non-Town member’s role and could ask them to team up with you. The same goes for a Consigliere who’s found a Witch.
- As a Mafioso or Godfather, you could tell one of your teammates if the target you tried to kill was immune or if nothing happened, meaning they’re a Witch.
Town Investigatives or role blockers may visit you at Night because whispering attracts attention. Additionally, you will reveal information to a Blackmailer if you ask someone to team up with you. Thus, it is always important to recognize the fact whether or not Town knows there is a Blackmailer in game, otherwise you are giving your information away to the Mafia.
Ignoring a player
Players may choose to “ignore” a player during the party, lobby, as well as in-game. If you ignore a player, you will not see any words that they say in the chat. However, you will still hear the noise when they say something. If they attempt to whisper to you, you will see that they have sent a whisper, but you will not see the whispered message itself.
Readmore: Best AK47 Red Dot | Ring Run
Ignoring is usually reserved for spammers or bots, and it is a bad idea to ignore someone who isn’t spamming or being rude unless you are dead – they may uncover important information later on and you won’t be able to see it.
Sometimes, this might be a Jester taking it too far, and even if not, try not to vote them up. Instead, simply report them using the player window.
To ignore a player, type “/ignore (player name or number)“. Example:/ignore John Smith/ignore 5
To be able to see a player’s messages again, type “/unignore (player name or number)“. Example:/unignore John Smith/unignore 5
Alternatively, you may click on a player in the player window, then click the “Ignore” or “Unignore” button, or click the lip icon next to their username (if in a party or lobby).
- Ignoring a player in-game only lasts for that particular game. The moment you exit a game, any ignored players will go back to not being ignored.
- Ignoring a player in the party or lobby will not carry over to the game. You have to ignore them again in-game.
- If a player in the party or lobby leaves then joins again, the ignore will carry over.
- The ignored player will still be able to talk to you if they are a Medium seancing you, a Jailor that jailed you, or the Vampire chat (for Vampire Hunters).
In the Lobby
In a Custom or Rapid Mode lobby, you can type /repick to vote for replacing an inactive host or one that is not preparing a role list that you want to play. You can do this in any lobby, though its only helpful use is in Custom Mode and Rapid Mode, if you and other lobby members are not satisfied with the custom list for an apparent reason (e.g. too specific, too boring, too one-sided). It is possible to repick the host in other lobbies; however, this will not affect the game itself other than change the order of the players in the lobby.
The chat filter can be enabled or disabled in the “Chat” settings in the main menu. It replaces many offensive words with different words. The table below contains some examples; a full list can be found here.
Censored Uncensored WARNINGPossibly vulgar and/or offensive language ringrun.com have been warned. balderdash fuk / phuck bindlestiff clitoris bologne basterd bosom boobs / tits / titty bosoms boobies / titties breeches muff / nutsack / scrotum bumfuzzle dumbass carbuncle jackass cheese and crackers motherf*cker, motherf*cking child born out of wedlock bastard codswallop douche / douchebag curmudgeon boner dagnabbit cocksucker / sh*t, sht doodle cock / dick / penis fellmonger prick / wank flummery cum / semen / shit fopdoodle Hitier / Hitler / Moonman / M o o n m a n / Stalin fusty jizz gardyloo orgasm / thatass gee golly damn / damnit hard worker slave harlot dyke / kunt[Note 1] / nympho / skank / slut / tramp / twat / whore kick the bucket kys / kill yourself kitty pussy lord almighty Allah Ackbar malarky queef / porn mumblecrusted fisted mumblecrusting fisting nonbinary homo / transexual petticoat dildo pillion anal / anus / ass / asshole pillions asses plague herpes / hiv / std plant a flower suck it / suck me off premarital relations blowjob / fellatio / handjob / rimjob prithee transport thyself to tarnation go to hell pumpkin pie creampie raggabrash kkk racal scumbag rigamole bukkake rose vagina rosebud clit savant autistic / retarded snap crackle pop bitch / b*tch / biatch something blow job son of a gun bullshit tell me more stfu tarnation fuck / fucker / fucking townie nazi yaldson anilingus you are a great player you suck you are an amazing player you are garbage / you’re garbage / you are trash / you’re trash you are an upstanding citizen you are gay / you’re gay zounderkite retard
Message Rejected for Vulgarity
There are several words which are deemed too offensive and as a result are completely censored. Attempts to use these words will result in the entire message being removed and a warning message being displayed to the player. Repeated use of these words can result in an automatic suspension on the player.
If the player receives a warning from closing their Last Will, they should immediately open their Last Will and find the text with which the filter has issue. The system may pick up some words or names as trying to bypass the filter. This also applies to a Death Note. If it is a name that the game is refusing to accept, use the player’s number instead.
In the new anti-bot measures, typing “I am a bot” gets your message rejected for vulgarity, although it is extremely easy to avoid: “I’m a bot” is not rejected.
- Previously, dead chat names were gray instead of red, but this was changed to avoid confusion.
- Previously, dead chat names were not italicized.
- If you whisper to yourself, you’ll be given the system message “You cannot whisper yourself, that would be weird.” This works even while dead.
- An old glitch in the Unity Mobile beta allowed you to whisper yourself, but it isn’t possible anymore.
- You can be temporarily muted for attempting to spam the chat by repeatedly voting a person during the voting phase as you could use this to spam the chat if the feature was not enabled.
- The Mayor receives a message saying ‘You cannot whisper to another player once you have revealed!’ when attempting to whisper. Any other player will receive ‘You cannot whisper to a revealed Mayor!’ if they try to do so.
- Prior to Version 18.104.22.16831, the Blackmailer was not able to read whispers.
- Prior to Version 22.214.171.12437, the Spy was able to read whispers (Now only the Blackmailer can read whispers).
- If you whisper right as the Night ends, you can successfully whisper to people, but not if you’re dead (and vice versa). This is one method Retributionists used to confirm themselves prior to the role rework in Version 3.2.4.